SilverStar Mountain Resort – September 14-16
We will gather on the unceded territory of the Syilx Okanagan people who have lived on this beautiful land since time immemorial (click for more information).
About The Symposium
The MTB Tourism Symposium is a gathering of creative minds with a vested interest in advancing the future of mountain bike tourism and recreation in British Columbia.
Our goal is to make mountain biking more accessible, more inclusive, and more sustainable while delivering key social and economic benefits to our communities and destinations.
British Columbia has long been a major contributor to the world of mountain biking. From its clandestine beginnings to its growth into the mainstream, mountain biking has become an established form of outdoor recreation and lifestyle that people enjoy in every corner of the province. The diverse trails and inspiring landscapes that are cherished by so many British Columbians have caught the attention of riders from around the globe.
The 2022 Mountain Bike Tourism Symposium is an opportunity for stakeholders and experts to share insights and knowledge about how to progress toward a more sustainable and vibrant future for mountain biking. Learn from the successes and challenges of those that have been working in the field and explore what is necessary to take mountain biking to the next level.
This year’s theme is “Partnering for Success”. Partnerships have an important role to play to meet the challenges of a post-pandemic world and will help make our communities stronger and more resilient. They can strengthen our vision of what is possible and help us achieve our common goals. In the mountain bike sector, where many values and goals are aligned, partnerships are the key to success.
Where & When
We continue to monitor COVID-19 and, given its dynamic nature, we have prepared thorough, adaptable operations plans that put safety first, and are consistent with all local regulations.
September 14-16, 2022. The main event takes place at SilverStar Mountain Resort. With plenty of space and fresh mountain air, SilverStar provides the perfect backdrop for us to delve into the important issues facing mountain biking recreation and tourism.
Here’s what’s happening…
- Pre-Symposium Trail Building Workshop; September 13&14 (click here for more details)
- Welcome Reception and Registration; September 14th, 7-10 pm at the Vance Creek Hotel & Conference Centre at SilverStar Mountain Resort
- Two full days of sessions; September 15th & 16th
- Guided rides and social events; Starting on September 14th with the opening group ride at Predator Ridge in Vernon at 1 pm and followed by the Welcome reception at the Vance Creek Hotel at Silver Star at 7 pm.
- Stay for the weekend and enjoy all that SilverStar and the Vernon area in the North Okanagan have to offer.
The symposium will feature presentations by visionaries, change makers and those that have been in the trenches advocating for trails and promoting BC as a world class destination. We will explore solutions to the challenges we face while keeping an open mind towards new approaches and new partnerships. Topics covered will be as diverse as the BC landscape involving trail advocates and builders, media specialists, business operators, community planners, land managers, government representatives, and tourism marketers. Click here to view the final schedule.
Pre-Symposium Trail Building Workshop
This one and a half day workshop is an informative hands-on learning experience focused on sustainable trail building techniques. The workshop is open to Full Symposium Registrants however space is limited so be sure to register early. Please indicate your interest when you register online for the Symposium.
This year we have three professional trail builders collaborating, each specializing in different aspects of trail building from bike park and singletrack to rock work and trail restoration.
- Jason Martin – Bike Park Manager at SilverStar Mountain Resort and Trails Director for the North Okanagan Cycling Society.
- Ken Melamed – Long time Whistler resident, former Whistler Mayor, and prolific trail builder known for his rock armouring expertise.
- Mark Wood – Owner of Trail Holistics. A seasoned professional in trail planning, design, assessment & restoration, Mark travels the province working with communities to improve their approach and build better trails.
The workshop begins on Tuesday, September 13th, at 9:00 am meet at the NATC Auditorium at SilverStar Mountain Resort and wraps on Wednesday at noon. The workshop is free to those registered for the full symposium. Please indicate your interest when you register online or send an email to Martin Littlejohn, firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the list. Final details will be sent to the workshop participants one week prior to the event.
There will be many opportunities for networking in a safe, casual, and fun atmosphere. We will be following all COVID-19 protocols required during the time of the event.
Join us at the Welcome reception on Wednesday, September 14th from 7-10 pm at the Vance Creek Hotel & Conference Centre at SilverStar Mountain Resort. Meet your fellow delegates and enjoy some local flavours and libations.
After the group ride, on Thursday, September 15th starting around 7 pm we’re going to shake up Silver Star Village with a pub crawl featuring the local establishments. The pubs have a full menu of food options. Note: Delegates must cover their own food and beverage expense for the pub crawl.
- 2 full days of sessions featuring knowledgeable and entertaining speakers and presentations
- Breakfast and lunch on each day of the symposium sessions (Thursday and Friday)
- Welcome reception and other social events (Wednesday and Thursday evenings)
- Pre-symposium Trail building workshop (Tuesday and Wednesday; limited spots available)
- Guided rides on some of the best trails in the province
- A chance to win great prizes
Check out Destination SilverStar for vacation homes to hotel rooms. If camping is more your style, click here to reserve on-site camping.
Vernon also has many options available and is less than 30 minutes from SilverStar. Check accommodation options at Tourism Vernon.
Guided Group Rides
We have a great variety of rides available. Bring your bike and enjoy some of the best and most spectacular trails the North Okanagan has to offer. And if you can’t bring your bike there are rental options available too.
Wednesday, September 14
Location: Predator Ridge Clubhouse Parking Lot
Tents and Refreshments will be provided.
Time:1 pm-4 pm
Guided rides – Predator Ridge/Ellison Park
Guides from NOCS and Dialed Rides
Olympia truck & trailer will be down at Ellison Parking Lot at 2 pm- 4 pm for anyone that would prefer a shuttle back up. The truck and trailer will be returning to the Predator Ridge parking lot at 4:30 pm.
Thursday, September 15
Location: Meet at Silver Star Ticket Booth @ village entrance
Time: 4:30 pm-7:30 pm
Guided Rides on SilverStar Mountain Resort and Sovereign Lakes Trails
*Special limited Tour of Kal Park (20 riders) must sign up at registration on Wednesday, Sept 14th
Shuttle leaves at 4:40 pm and returns at 7:30 pm Shuttle Supplied by Olympia Cycles.
Guides are provided by NOCS, Dialed Rides, and SilverStar.
Friday, September 16
Location: SilverStar Mountain Resort Bike Park
Time: 12 noon-closing (6:30 pm)
All registered delegates will be provided access to SilverStar Bike Park and must sign a SilverStar Waiver.
Bike rentals: If you need to rent a bike there are two options, both offer high-quality rental bikes.
Who Should Attend?
The MTB Tourism Symposium is an event for anybody with a stake in developing, promoting, or managing mountain biking for recreation and tourism.
Attendees typically include:
- Mtb/outdoor adventure tourism operators
- Event producers
- Media specialists
- First Nations/Community Leaders
- Land Managers
- Park planners
- Destination marketing organizations
- Bike industry representatives
- Trail advocates, builders and maintainers
- Government and industry professionals
Below is the basic schedule for this year’s program.
WEDNESDAY Sept 14
- 9AM – 12PM • Trail Building Workshop continues from Tuesday
- 1PM – 5PM • Guided Group Rides
- 6PM – 9PM • Delegate Registration
- 7PM – 10PM • Opening Reception
THURSDAY Sept 15
- 7:30 – 8:30AM • Delegate Registration
- 7:30 – 8:30AM • Breakfast
- 8:00AM – 12PM • Opening Remarks & Morning Sessions (with coffee break)
- 12 – 12:45PM • Lunch
- 12:45 – 3:15PM • Keynote and Afternoon Sessions (with coffee break)
- 4:30PM • Guided Rides
- 7 – 10PM • Evening Social
FRIDAY Sept 16
- 7:30 – 8:30AM • Delegate Registration
- 7:30 – 8:30AM • Breakfast
- 8:30AM – 12PM • Keynote & Morning Sessions (with coffee break)
- 12 – 12:45PM • Lunch
- 12:30 – 3:45PM • Afternoon Sessions (with coffee break)
- 12 – 6:30PM • SilverStar Bike Park open to delegates
Registration is now closed.
The next symposium will be in 2024.
Stay tuned for more announcements by signing up for the newsletter.
Would you Like to Receive Updates?
(this will only add you to our email list, it will not register you for the symposium)
Got a Question?
For questions about the conference, please contact the MBTA Executive Director, Martin Littlejohn, using the email address below. We’ll get back to you as soon as possible!